Tiroler Gröstl is one of the hearty favorites from the skiing and hiking region of Tirol. Traditionally, it is a delicious and satisfying way of using up yesterday’s left-overs. It makes a great shared-from-the-pan mountain lunch. We think it would be good with the Paul Achs Lust und Leben or the Yalumba Y Series Yalumba Viognier.
1 1/2 Tbsp Marrakesh Olive Oil **
1 lb. smoked bacon (or cooked ham)
1 onion, cut into chunks
1 lb. cooked potatoes (Yukon Golds work best), cold and cut into small chunks
1 tsp caraway seeds
1 1/2 tsp hot, sweet paprika (if you can’t do this, use sweet paprika, mixed with a pinch of chili powder)
small handful of parsley, roughly chopped
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, then fry the bacon and onion together for 10 minutes until the bacon is golden.
2. Lift out of the pan onto a plate, before adding the potatoes and frying for 10 minutes more until golden.
3. Tip in the caraway and paprika, season well, then fry for another minute, stirring to release their fragrance.
4. Return the bacon and onion, taste for seasoning, then add the parsley.
5. Serve Hot and – for a real authentic touch – with a fried egg on top!
** Available for purchase at the Wine Gallery